Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bomb Threat on Campus

Got to my class today to teach and found most of my students a little upset about this message they all got this morning in their email, on the front of the OSU website, on their phones, and as the lead story on CNN:
"Safety message to the Ohio State University community--

Ohio State University Police and local public safety officials are investigating bomb threats to four campus buildings. OSU police were alerted by the FBI at 8:19 a.m. that bomb threats were received for The William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library (our main library), McPherson Chemical Lab, Smith Laboratory and Scott Laboratory.

Three streets are closed to vehicular traffic:

Neil Ave. north of 12th Ave.; 17th between Tuttle Park Place and College Rd.; and 18th and 19th between Neil Ave.and College Rd.

Occupants of all buildings were evacuated and were directed to areas of safety. OSU Public Safety issued a Buckeye Alert at 8:41 a.m. to the campus community asking everyone to stay clear of those buildings. Text messages were sent to nearly 32,000 Buckeye Alert subscribers.

University public safety officials and university police continue to investigate along with the FBI and the Columbus Fire Department bomb squad. The affected buildings remain closed until further notice.

For more information, call 614-247-7777 or continue to monitor www.osu.edu"

Apparently it was the lead story on the news this morning on CNN. The threats were sent to FBI headquarters in Washington D.C., and they alerted OSU and the units here. They have no idea why OSU was targeted, or how real of a threat it is. I thought I was on the Buckeye Alert system list, but apparently am not. I did walk by the library this morning on my way to class and saw the whole building and surrounding area roped off with caution tape. I wondered what it was but the announcement they were broadcasting just said that there had been a fire in the building. Anywho. Crazy, huh? Last year it was a shooting on campus; today bomb threats and FBI squads. There are good things too, I promise. :) Just thought I'd share, since this is part of my experience here! (A few of my students are really worried for their lives...others are just glad that it took place in buildings where they have class so their classes are cancelled. I admit I am siding with the second group as one of those buildings is where my stats class is later this afternoon, and no class means more time to work. ;) Sad, I know. I guess I originally didn't take this seriously, until reading the news (Dad told me he heard about it in Utah this morning), and maybe I should. I was hoping that it was just some disgruntled chemistry students trying to get out of taking a test.) Welcome to my school life. As for the rest of my life...you know those rollercoasters. At least I like rollercoasters, right? ;) Love you all. I'm safe, so don't worry.

Addendum: Just read the news and found out everything in those buildings is cancelled until 5:00 PM this afternoon--at least according to one news source. That means sianara stats for Tuesday! Horray for more time to write papers. ;) Love you.

1 comment:

Aaron and Devon said...

Glad your alive! I'm not so sure about this school that you go too- I guess we just got spoiled at BYU