Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Weather" I should...


So I know it's a little early in the year for me to start compiling my Christmas list... but Columbus weather has really inspired a few "wants" or "needs" in me of late, which I am seriously considering whether or not to buy for myself. Yes, if there is one thing I have learned while living in Columbus, it is that I need these things in order to make it through unscathed:

1: One of those really big umbrellas that curve down and actually cover more than just the top of your head. This is what I saw today that inspired me (if you don't want to count my wet feet, wet pants and legs, wet backpack as part of my inspiration).


I keep seeing them in alternating color combos, but don't necessarily love that. Just want the "giantness" of it. How darling that this one comes with lace.

The wind and downpours here have taught me that these small lil' "regular" (I'll call them "polite" umbrellas--since they are are really only good for show or a polite head cover as you help a lady out of a car on a rainy day...)...


...just don't really do the trick when I have to walk miles each day on campus in a downpour! Especially not with my laptop in my bag.

I've also seen lots of this type on campus and actually kind of like them, if the opening is wide enough.


I am seriously considering them, even if it makes me look asian (they are the only people I can recall seing use them.) What do you think?

Then, of course, there is what I like to call the "Noah Model."


Perfect for covering your backpack (and big behind), or for walking two-by-two. (Thank you, Noah.) (No, I am not suggesting Noah had a big behind.)

2. A big, long, down filled, though slightly shaped, hooded coat.


I saw this one at the Eddie Bauer outlet yesterday, but even at half-off it was still $80. Plus, I want it in white. :) I need one of these, though, for the killer cold winds and winter we have here. It's mild today, but as soon as that wind-chill factor hits on a normal winter day, I am like ICE. It seriously gets SO cold. These coats are nice because of their length (which I used to hate, but love now because I am just so cold)--not too long to look like a sleeping bag, but still long enough to feel really warm and cozy--and because they are filled with warm down, but have somehow now managed to do it in a way that makes them less puffy than they used to be, so I don't feel like the state-puff marshmallow woman. I hate that feeling. I also really like that they are a bit fitted around the waist now--just slightly--to give them a more polished or feminine look. Yes. Putting this one really high on the "want/wish" list.

3. Socks socks socks. Knee-high nylons, trouser socks, boot socks, red socks and blue socks! One sock and two sock! (s). (Preferably with the "s", please.)





Knee-high nylon socks, to wear as a small added bit of warmth when I want to wear flats or heels with my dress pants (or jeans, for that matter) when I teach. Too cold for nothing, and amazing what that lil' extra bit of warmth can do on a fall day. Same thing with the trouser socks. And tall socks for my boots so I don't feel the boot zipper going up my leg. Brrr. Frisky. Yes, these are something I also want. ;)

So I guess a better way to form the sentence "I'm deciding whether I should buy these things" would be "I'm deciding. Weather!! [shake fist at sky.] I should buy these things.";)

1 comment:

Aaron and Devon said...

Those umbrellas ar awesome! You should totally get one.