All that said, here's a quick recap of April (minus my trip to Hawaii, which is-a-gettin' its own post):
BYU Football Spring Scrimmage Game
![]() |
| BYU Football Spring Scrimmage game |
Probably the day after I got home, BYU had its Spring Football Scrimmage game. Dev and Dad told me about it, and we agreed to meet. I think my favorite moment about this game (besides just sitting in the stands with the girls crowding around me and catching up on months of missed hugs and kisses and adoration ;) ), was when we first were getting to the stadium. Dad and I were meeting Dev and the girls and planned on meeting outside the stadium, at one corner. Turns out we were at the northwest, and Dev was out the southwest. So Dad and I went walking towards the southwest corner to meet them. No one else was out there, as the game had already started a bit earlier. When we were still well-over half the football field away, Abby's little hawk eyes that had been watching for us recognized us by our silly walking and arm-waving we were carrying on with. She then came running at a full sprint the entirety of the distance (remember, it was far) until she reached me and jumped--while still at a full-sprint--into my arms. She then hugged me tightly and would not let go until we were well into the stadium, and moving towards our seats. This was the first time I'd seen the girls since Christmas, and I can honestly say, nothing could have made me feel more loved and glad to be home at that moment. :)
![]() |
| The girls during the "candy" egg hunt. I hadn't realized how much fun these two have together. |
A few days after (okay, probably just the next day) was Easter, and it was the first Easter I've been home for in 6 years. Gone were the potluck Easter dinners in my apartment with a hodge-podge "everyone is welcome" group of friends from the YSA ward, with our ham and paper table cloths to color on, and silly Easter egg hunts around the apartment or at the park down the street. Instead I got all my favorite traditional holiday foods, a candy hunt outside with about 500 children (or maybe 20ish ;)), and lots of family. It was so nice to see everyone so soon after getting home, and to just feel surrounded by love. It's so easy to give love to children. And to my whole family.
General Conference
Dad and I have had the tradition of watching at least part of General Conference together ever since I started college, up in Idaho. The week after I got home was April conference, and so we decided on a trip up again to try and get in. We didn't get in (probably one of the only times!), but did enjoy sitting together with Kelly in the tabernacle and listening to that session. My favorite talk from that conference, by Elder Holland, was given at the end of that session, and it wonderful to be there with Dad. We will keep it up. :)
Grandma and Grandpa Visit
How sweet is that picture I snapped of Grandpa holding Grandma's hand? She looks like a young lil' thang, and he has old man hands. :) That's okay. They belong together.
Grandma and Grandpa came out to visit not long after I got back as well. It felt like how my normal Christmas or summer holiday vacations did--with non-stop activities and family being packed in daily for a few weeks to get it all in. And I loved it. Felt normal. :) ha. I was afraid that this visit might be my last time getting to see Grandma, but luckily that has proved wrong and they've been able to come and visit at least 2 more times since then, and Grandma has actually improved some. It was great to hear Grandma tell Mom her hair looked pretty, and to see Grandma light up when she held Greyson. She just loves babies. :) I was just so grateful to be able to spend that time with them.
Coming home has also meant falling in love again with the mountains. I joke that my whole summer could be summed up in two words: kids, and hiking. And it'd be about right. No complaints, here. :)
A week or two back and my friend, Sara Young, called and asked if right then I wanted to go on a spur of the moment trip in search of a ghost town a few hours away. Why not? And there were certainly plenty of "why-do's". (? ha). A ghost town? Cool. And, a chance to see a friend when I had little else to do. Yep. Done and done. Turns out we didn't find the ghost town, just 2 or 3 dilapidated buildings, but it was still a nice time. (Minus the getting sick on the 2 hour drive home. Gulp. Thanks, Sara, for being so patient with lack of conversation.)
One of the best moments of the trip was when we went into the convenience store (of sorts) near the buildings, and asked if it'd be alright if we took some pictures of them. The clerk then clarified which buildings we meant and then said--"you mean the ones up on the hill yonder?" (They were the only buildings in sight as far as the eye could see) "Yeah, I guess so. I don't think they are living in there anymore, but I'm not sure. You might want to check, first." You mean...those buildings with holes in the roofs and walls, missing boards so that you can see into them, a dilapidated patio and porch, the ones that are partially boarded up, sagging, and on the verge of collapse due to water-damage and termite infestation? Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say no one is still living in them. At least, I sure hope not. (Maybe just ghosts. ;) j/k.)
![]() |
| A spot along our drive. |
I also got to attend the baby shower for my old Millrace friend, Ruth (formerly Valasquez). I had been feeling lonely and allowing for some self-pity that day (missing and feeling the want of friends), but was uplifted by Ruth's example as I always have been. It was good to see a few old friends, as well.
Kiara's birthday was also that month, so we got to play!! They even pushed the party back a few days so that I could be there before taking off to Hawaii, which was great. Kiara just really wanted me there, and I really wanted to be there. She was angry at me that I was going to be gone for her party, since we'd been talking about it ever since I'd returned to UT. :) Luckily, the crisis was averted and no party was missed. It was so fun to see that little munchkin just celebrating and having so much fun. I sure do love getting to see her and know her more now. What a cutie.
![]() |
| Abby and Kiara playing a totally non-violent game (?Wha?) at the Nickle Cade during Kiara's b-day party |
So, that's just a taste of what I got to do my first month back in UT. :) It has been wonderful. I also had a really wonderful trip to Hawaii in there as well, and so that will be the topic of the next "catch-up" post.
*Guess I got some "moment sharing" in there, after all. :)
















1 comment:
Very nice. I think that ways that you spoke here are very pertinent! I will try!ufabet
Post a Comment