Sunday, February 21, 2010

Grandpa Fowler


Well, a few days ago I was reading my scriptures, and it happened to be one of our few sunny days here. As I read, sitting at my kitchen table with the blinds open so I could feel and see that wonderful sunshine, I looked down at the ring that I wear that was Grandma Fowler's. I noticed the little diamonds sparkling in the sunshine, and then just thought of her and Grandpa smiling in heaven, and I got really interested and excited again about doing family history work. I know that Grandpa will accept the gospel--he is such a smart man :), and he will just know and feel the truth of it. So as I sat there and just felt that peace, I knew that I needed to get working again on each of their family lines, Grandpa's especially since it is his that I have done the least with. I know he wants that work done for his family, and I felt that with a calm peace, but urgency also, as I sat and read my scriptures. So, as part of that-- I just wanted to write a little tribute to Grandpa and the great man that he was. I know I didn't get to share all of this with you back in October when I went out to New York with Dad, so I thought it would be nice if you could hear a little about what I learned about Grandpa, and see some pics of the fam.

The thing that impressed me the most while I was there in New York, visiting with the family, was just what a great man Grandpa was for the way he loved his family, and for the amazing (and charming, witty, and so forth :)) sense of humor that he kept throughout his life even after all that he saw and went through with his childhood and the war. He truly is an example to us all, and I know our family there in New York (and now me too) are stronger because of his example. Carrie made up a nice pamphlet while we were there with pictures and a small write up about Grandpa. In it, she put down the following "Bill once said, 'Some people say I Love You all the time; I hope that my actions show it.' They did. Thank you, Dad. Thank you, Grandpa." I really loved that. Let me share a little more from that pamphlet before I go on so that you can see why I felt the way that I did that weekend in New York, and why I still feel that way now. A little more about Grandpa Fowler:

"Bill Fowler [born William Clement Fowler] was born on February 28, 1921 to John and Lillian Harron Fowler, of Brooklyn, NY. Bill was the fourth of ten children, including two sisters who died in infancy. In 1925, perhaps due to financial strains on their growing family, John and Lillian sent Bill and his siblings to children's homes (orphanages). Bill and his brothers were sent to The Nazareth Trade School and Home for Boys. Bill spent the rest of his childhood in that Farmingdale, NY institution.

At 23, Bill was inducted into the U.S. Army, and went on to serve this country in World War II in the First Division ("The Big Red One"). He was among those thousands of brave young American men who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, June 6, 1944. During the next eighteen months, until the end of the war in Decemeber 1945, Bill served with distinction as the Fist Division fought the Nazi Army in France, Belgium, Germany and Czechoslovakia. He attained the rank of Master Sergeant, and was awarded the Bronze Star with appurtenances for two occasions of heroism in combat.

Throughout his service, Bill carried a small chess set, and was known to play the game with anyone, American or not. He said that chess was a universal game, as it requires no common spoken language. He believed that desite their nations being at war, two individuals, in the common humanity, could sit down to a civilized and respectful game. Proud of his service and his country, Bill nevertheless felt that war ought to be an act of last resort, and looked toward a future when it might be finally obsolete." [As a side note, I bet a few of you remember the story of how Grandpa got that cool hand-carved chess set, carved by one of the Nazi prisoners he was guarding during trials in Nuremberg--is that right Dad? He traded the guy for a pack of his army rationed cigaretts, and the guy carved it out of his bunk. I am sure I am missing something in the story here, because I can't see how that could be, but I have seen the set and it is pretty sweet! Dad--correct me where I am wrong and tell us the REAL story. haha.)

I am sure you can already tell some of the things that made Grandpa great, but I just couldn't help but return again and again to what so many continually referred to about him-- his great sense of humor. You would think that growing up in an orphanage for most of your life might prove too great a trial for some children, but not for Grandpa. He was above that, and his brother Johnny (is that right, Dad?) was his dearest friend. They often went without shoes, and looked like little street urchants half the time. Yet I know he just laughed and laughed, and made others laugh and smile too, and see the good side of things. He was the same in all of the memories I have of him from when I was a kid. I just remember him being the tickle monster, and I remember just loving him. I also remember that he was always smiling--all of my memories of Grandpa are of him smiling that great, sincere and warm smile of his. I just love it. I really can't picture him without it. And yet he fought in the war, and saw terrible terrible things. Who hasn't heard of D-Day?? Grandpa was there, and he had to continue to move forward past his friends and comrads who had fallen before him. But still he kept up that amazing attitude and that smile! I just felt amazed as I sat in New York and listened to all the stories about Grandpa. I heard some of his stories from the war that I had never heard before. I would type them out for you now but I don't trust my memory enough to do them fair justice (without taking lots of writer's liberty--;) ha). So Dad, you should tell us some more and type them out, or get Uncle Scott or Uncle George or one of the others to write some out. Many people come back from war very...hardened after all they have seen and done. And that is understandable. But Grandpa didn't. He came back and started a family and raised them with love and lots of laughs. I mean come on! That whole side of the family is just a barrel of laughs and jokes--seriously! It makes me think of a whole vat of jiggling jolly jello for some reason, ha. Just the laughs straight from the belly and so jolly sounding-- I love it. And I bet it came in large part from being raised by Grandpa.

It was wonderful to be there with Dad and with the rest of the family and to feel that love for Grandpa, even though I didn't get to see or know him all that well growing up, living so far away. At first I felt so sad, feeling disappointed that I didn't get to share in all those memories of good times with Grandpa, and that I didn't get to know him well. I felt sort of jipped. But then it hit me--that I WOULD get to know Grandpa, in the next life, and that he would still be the same Bill Fowler that everyone here on earth so loved and admired. :) That just made the gospel plan so much sweeter and real to me, and I really felt such a gratitude for the plan at that time--to know that I would get all the time I wanted with Grandpa in the next life, and that I bet it would be filled love and laughs. It was a sweet feeling and realization.

I do have one more recent memory of Grandpa that I did want to write out--that Devon or Amber may remember. It was from a trip out to New York that we all went on years ago. Grandpa had been a bit down and out for a bit, so I didn't now how it would be when we were there, but as he came out to visit with us we pointed at a picture of him in his army uniform and said, "Grandpa, who is that handsome man??" Then, with a very definitive twinkle in his eye he said, "Eh, oh who's that? MMM...must be Gene Kelly!" Cue twinkle. haha. Then he repeated it, "yep, must be Gene Kelly--he's pretty good-looking that guy!" Then I knew Grandpa was with us. :) I was grateful to see him feeling great again a few years ago at a family reunion. He just perked up and had a great day--we cut his hair right there in the parking lot of the park where the reunion was held, and then off we went, with him friendly and talking with everyone. Carrie really relished in that day, and spent a lot of time with him. That was a special day too.

I guess, overall, what I learned from Grandpa is just a strength to go on and see the best of things, even when things get really really hard, and to keep going, and to find a way to get a smile on your face again-- often through putting a smile on someone else's. I understood Dad a lot better on that trip too, because I finally understood where he got it from. I have seen that same behavior in him on multiple occasions, and I wondered where he learned that strength from. I know he gets it from his knowledge of the gospel, but I bet that just affirmed a lesson and strength he learned of from the example of his own Dad. Love you Dad.

Gene Kelly :)-- AKA Grandpa William C. Fowler


Pat in Grandpa's army jacket.


Dad wearing one of Grandpa's famous hats, with Aunt Helena. (Strike a pose, Dad! ha. Love it.)


Dad looking good in Grandpa's hat.


A group of family and neighbors just visiting at the house after the funeral. You can see Aunt Sherry in this photo, as well as two of "the boys."


Another of us just at the house--Kevin, Me, Dad, Carrie, Laura, Scott, & Megan.


I love you Grandpa Fowler!

No comments: