Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A lesson

I read this tonight on a friend's blog, and found it beautiful because I could now really understand it. It comes from a favorite work of poetry of mine, and expresses a lesson that I finally gained a testimony of this past weekend after some time away, some reflection, and a little bit of renewed feelings of the spirit.

If e’er when faith had fall’n asleep,
I heard a voice ‘believe no more’
And heard an ever-breaking shore
That tumbled in the Godless deep;

A warmth within the breast would melt
The freezing reason’s colder part,
And like a man in wrath the heart
Stood up and answer’d ‘I have felt.’

No, like a child in doubt and fear:
But that blind clamour made me wise;

Then was I as a child that cries,
But, crying, knows his father near
;

And what I am beheld again
What is, and no man understands;
And out of darkness came the hands
That reach thro’ nature, moulding me
n.
-Alfred Lord Tennyson- "In Memoriam"

I am grateful that when I struggle, I KNOW the Lord is moulding me. I feel that now, and feel a stronger testimony and knowledge of His presence, through the darkness and faithless feelings I have faced. I am so grateful for him. Thanks, Lizzie, for being a sharer of beauty and wisdom!

No comments: