Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mint


So, what have I been up to.  Well, today, I learned that mint is a native plant to Ohio.  


 I also learned that its root system is more complex and entwined that the London Underground...


Today I decided to take on the role of gardner and to finally tackle this mess of mint and weeds growing unchecked on my back porch.  It just looked darn ugly.  

I had never really cared much in the past, as the mint smelled really nice when I sat out on the back porch and gave you a nice lil' something to chew on or cook with if desired ;), but enough was enough.
Yeah, ugly.  
So I took to the mint, so to speak. At first I started just pulling with my bare hands, but I soon realized I'd need my gloves, and after a time my neighbor came out and offered me a shovel and clippers as well.  Two hours later, I had made quite the piles of minty mess.


I still didn't get to all of it, but I sure made a dent.  And I sure did take out some of that there root system, I tell you what.  What was once connected is now in pieces in my dumpster.




 Now I have a slightly more cleared place to sit, and less invasive weed gunk invading my own little garden!

Some of my peppers that I grew from seed!!--seeds from a pepper I bought at the store and ate. :)
If anything, I left our dumpster a more pleasant place...with a nice fresh minty smell masking the other odors.   They can thank me later.

No comments: