So a few weeks ago I signed up to feed all the sister missionaries serving in our ward (we have three sets...along with two sets of elders--awesomeness!). I specifically chose the night before transfers so that I could be sure to see them one last time in case anyone was transferred. I seriously have come to
love these sister missionaries. Sister Puddicombe and Sister Vance are two sisters that are especially dear to my heart, as they are the sisters who I first started to REALLY teach a lot with, and who I first jumped into serving with after being called as a ward missionary. Besides the fact that they are both just fun and lovely and amazing teachers--and people I'd just love to be around anytime--we have also shared a lot together, opened up to each other, have laughed a lot together, and become great friends. I love them both so much. From the moment I started teaching with them we all agreed that I was like their third companion, and indeed I felt in so many ways that I was. I loved it.
 |
| My two "companions" & favorite missionaries (if I can have favorites ;) ) Sister Puddicombe and Sister Vance. |
 |
| Sister Vance, Sister Puddicombe, Sarah and I's attempt ;) at making cake-pops to give to students and potential investigators before Christmas break. |
---> One of the first people that I really helped the sisters teach was a young man named John, who actually lives in the complex down the street from me. The first lesson I got to help with was AMAZING. The Sprit was so strong. So undeniably powerful. I went in feeling really humbled and just happy to be there with these sisters and to learn from them. I wanted to be sure to trust in their knowledge of teaching the gospel, their knowledge of John and his questions and needs, and also to follow the spirit's promptings in sharing my testimony. In that first lesson, towards the end I actually really felt prompted to talk to John about baptism and extend to him the offer to be baptized. Crazy! In my head I was thinking "
No way! I'm not the missionary here! I'm not the one who should do that! What if it's just me and I totally throw the sisters off and it's not what John is ready for or needs yet?" And so on. But the very clear feeling and prompting came
again and again. I was getting nervous, as I
knew that it wasn't just me thinking this crazy idea up, and so I was trying to think of a way to bring it up more naturally somehow when suddenly another prompting/thought came to me telling me not to worry--that one of the sisters was going to bring it up. I sat back, relaxed, and then not even a minute later one of the sisters stopped, apologized for changing tracks (off of what they were teaching), and proceeded to share that she felt like she needed to change the subject and to discuss baptism. She asked John what it would mean to him if all we were teaching him was true, and if he would be baptized if he prayed about these teachings and doctrine and received a witness for himself that they are true.
The story goes on from there, but perhaps not in the way you expected. John talked around the question a little, we finished up the lesson (2 hours long! Usually they are supposed to be 45minutes at most), and set a time to come back the next week. I walked away from that lesson feeling just so on fire with the spirit, and for many reasons. One was certainly that confirmation and that joy over knowing that I was prompted so clearly during a lesson by the spirit as to what that particular son of our Father in Heaven needed offered to him right then, for whatever reason. Or maybe the prompting and following promptings were needed for me, as my own witness.
Whatever the case, I came away with a sure confirmation of the spirit about missionary work, about God having a very real and personal interest and hand in the teaching and lives of His children, and that I was worthy to receive such a prompting and to extend such an offer--that I, too, could be a real missionary.
Our next few lessons with John were all also very powerful and good, but none felt quite so powerful to me as that particular lesson. Perhaps some of that was my readiness and preparation for attending it. Coming away from that first lesson I felt such a freedom--freedom because I realized how easy and wonderful it is, missionary work. All I have to do is offer and share.
It isn't up to me to change people's minds, to persuade, change hearts, or convert them. That is what the Spirit will do. How wonderfully freeing it was to remember that this work is true, and that if those we are teaching really want to know for themselves, they WILL receive a witness of the truth of this gospel, of the Book of Mormon, of Joseph Smith, of our modern-day prophets, and of God's plan for his children on the earth today. They will come to know and find that desire to be baptized for themselves. It's up to me to offer, to teach, to share and bear personal testimony, and to provide and opportunity--to help--but ultimately the spirit is the teacher and God is the answer-er, and they, the seeker, if they really will seek with real intent, will without a doubt find the answer, if they wish it. How freeing is that? And how wonderful to be able to bear testimony of it--that anyone can know for themselves, and not just take my word for it.
Anyways. As I was saying, subsequent lessons with John went well. There were a few times I felt to be very bold in declaring the truth, as well as the difference between the fulness of Christ's gospel and His church, and the need for Priesthood authority. John was not wanting to hear that, but he needed to. Again, the spirit was always quite strong, and I know John felt it. You couldn't deny the feeling in that room each time. Each lesson lasted about 2 hours because we all always shared so much and answered lots of questions and just shared together. It was great. Those were very special times. I felt a little of what it was to be a missionary.
 |
| Sister Puddicombe and I (she's definitely standing on her tippy toes. :) |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Anyways. Back to my original post...hehe, of sorts. DINNER! :) haha. So I had the sisters all over for dinner...
 |
| Left to right: Sister Stoaker, Sister Verhagen, Sister Vance, Sister Austin, Sister Puddicombe, Sarah Koch (my roomie!) and Sister Nalls. |
Along with the sisters I also invited John--who hadn't met with us in awhile and who I knew Sister Puddicombe and Sister Vance would want to see one more time if either of them were transferred (Sister Puddicombe was :( )--and then also my friend Nate, who also happens to be the ward mission leader and someone that John had met once at a ward activity (I needed to have at least
one more guy there so that John didn't feel too out of place surrounded by all those women). It was fun. My lovely roommate Sarah helped me decide on what to make to
feed such a crowd of hungry souls (
BBQ crock pot chicken, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, salad, and Barber-Shop Delight for dessert...yummy!) and helped with the potatoes and getting the house ready.
 |
| Left to right: Me, Sister Puddicombe, Sister Nalls, John, Nate, Sister Stoaker, Sister Verhagen, Sister Vance, Sister Austin. |
A favorite tradition of mine for when I feed a large group of people (started, really, because of how dirty/ugly looking the top to one of my card tables is) is to cover all the tables in butcher paper from a large roll I have, and then to spread crayons around the table for people to color on the make-shift table "cloth" with, Macaroni Grill style. (If you've ever been to that restaurant you'll know that they do something similar.) It's always worked out well, and people have a fun time coloring as they wait for food, listen to the conversations, etc. Often the drawings
become topics of conversations themselves.
 |
| (The sisters are too sweet--I didn't write that.) |
 |
| Sometimes Nate sabotaged the pictures near him.... |
 |
| For instance, I was asked to try and draw a horse; Nate then killed it. No heart. |
 |
| Sister Nalls' horse. |
Well, dinner was a big hit. John brought his guitar and sang us a few of his "worship songs," Sister Verhagen played the guitar as well, and she and Sister Austin graced us with awesome background music on the piano as we set up. (Played from lovely music books given me by Dad and by Mom!) Dinner turned out tasty, and together we all seemed to have a really great time. It was just a fun and successful night all around. Yay for missionaries. I can't say how much I love these sisters. And yay for dessert...because let's talk about how I couldn't stop eating it that night after everyone left...um, yum! (Thanks for writing out that old recipe for me, Mom!)
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that story. Yea for missionary work!
Post a Comment