Friday, September 12, 2014

Feelin' It Friday

So, there is Throw-back Thursday, Flashback Friday,...and what, Mullets Monday and Tricycle Tuesday? (Those should be real things.  Maybe.)


I've decided that I'm going to do my own little weekly post, but nothing so grand as mullets or pictures of myself in the 90's (sorry)(maybe sometime).  Instead, I want to post a poem or quote from some piece of literature each Friday that has struck me throughout the week in my readings, or in the past. Share a little bit of what I love, and find some new gems, perhaps, in the process.  Help build up a little collection of a place you or I can go to find interesting, meaningful, clever, uplifting, powerful, silly, WHATever pieces of great writing from over the ages.  Maybe help discover a new love.  Musicians share their favorite music or muses, dancers share moving choreography, scientists share new discoveries in their field, so why can't I share something that also makes me so happy, or causes me to think?    (Just as do those other things just listed, do for me, as well.)

Now I know I can't very well call it "Poetry Friday" or "Literature Thursday," as those are entirely lacking in alliteration. I suppose "Muse Monday" would work, but hey--Monday's are busy enough already!  I want Friday.  So....for now I'll call it...uh, Feelin' It Friday,  or Fancy It Friday (if I'm feeling posh).  Whatever.  You give me an idea.  For now, here's a poem I read today that I liked.  Startin' out with a poem that has a truly classic/classy sounding air. ;)

Keep a-Goin'
By: Frank L. Stanton

If you strike a thorn or rose,
    Keep a-goin'!
If it hails or if it snows,
    Keep a-goin'!
'Taint no use to sit an' whine
When the fish ain't on your line;
Bait your hook an' keep a-tryin'--
    Keep a-goin'!

When the weather kills your crop,
    Keep a-goin'!
Though 'tis work to reach the top,
    Keep a-goin'!
S'pose you're out o' ev'ry dime,
Gittin' broke ain't any crime;
Tell the world you're feelin' prime--
    Keep a-goin'!

When it looks like all is up,
    Keep a-goin'!
Drain the sweetness from the cup,
    Keep a-goin'!
See the wild birds on the wing,
Hear the bells that sweetly ring,
When you feel like surgin', sing--
    Keep a-goin'!
_____________________________

So, lads and lasses, whether things are a thorn or a rose, you keep a-going.  :)  Thanks, Brother Stanton.

Oh, and because you know you wanted them to be real:


A combo of Mon & Tues. (I'm sure there's a training wheel on there somewhere.)

No comments: