Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ice Storm y etc.

So I have had my first experience here with an ice storm. It wasn't terrible, or as bad as others they've had here, but it was a new adventure for me just the same. Yesterday I spent over an hour outside chipping away ice off my car and the sidewalk. I still have some thick stuff on there.


(This is my car after getting some of the ice off. The ice was covering EVERY inch of my car. Literally. Every one. Except maybe the underside. You had to "lightly tap it"--okay hit it with the ice scraper and a screw driver--forever to get the ice to shatter like glass, being careful not to shatter your actual glass. This was a workout, let me tell you.)

The ice was about a quarter inch thick in many places. Sa-weet. Good thing I have recently learned all about taking the buses here, and have only driven my car once this week. Those roads were trecherous. ... And apparently still were today, when I still slipped and fell on my bum right outside my apartment, haha. (A start to a fairly clumsy day for me.)


(This, if you can't tell, is ice a quarter-inch thick covering my front sidewalk. You try walking on it. The snow next to it was worse--bumpy slippery ice snow.) (That's an official name, just in case you were wondering.)

We were afraid of the power going out and being stuck without heat--but don't worry! Some friends and I decided on a giant sleepover with about a gazillion blankets, brownies, flashlights, and bodyheat to survive. :) (I'd still prefer all of that PLUS the heater on, but that's just a thought.) So what do you do when you are basically iced into your house and classes are cancelled? You make movies, apparently. This is what my roommate Katie and I did. Ever heard of Bollywood?
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8328720/ (Paste that link into your browser for a hilarious video...or at least a really silly dumb one, haha. We made it all--script, characters, camera shots, and character movements. We're dorks, but at least we had some fun and distraction from flickering lights about to go out.)

Below are just a few more pics of things covered in ice. My camera died, so I didn't get great shots, but I did steal that last cool pic from a friend of mine here. As I've been told again and again--welcome to Ohio! (Pray for California sunshine.)



Is it Spring yet?!?

2 comments:

Janelle Ehat said...

Holy Smokes! Tawna those are super cool pictures! (Lol! No I didn't mean the pun but it works!) Glad you made the most of it! Miss you!

Scot and Jenny said...

Holy cow, that looks...cold! But I have to say the pictures look pretty amazing!