Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nothin'

Okay, so I've been reading some of your blogs, and looking at facebook pictures and things that cousins and such have posted, and I just feel happy! That's really all. Seeing the joys in your life leads me to feel happy. (Okay, sometimes a bit jealous-ha-, but right now just definietly an overall happiness!) We have had two full days of sunshine here in Columbus, which feels like a winter wonder to me here, and even have a 60degree day to look forward to on Friday. I love having that to look forward to! So, I didn't start out writing this post with anything particular I wanted to post about (thus the "nothin'" title), just wanted to write and say that life is good--I'm doing well, and I'm happy. But upon some reflection, that led me to think about my life right now and why I'm feeling happy--how I'm feeling happy, what I'm feeling happy about. And I learned something. So, instead of updating you right now on some of the typical things I might tell you about--milestones, new calling, school updates, dating life, whatever, a little reflection has caused me to want to post some pictures from some of the cool things I've done over the past year that I didn't blog about. This particular set of pictures stem from some relfection on my life here, and good things that I think the Lord has seen I would learn and gain from it; simple things, recognizing that it is these small day to day things and choices, moments, that make up the whole. So, to me these represent:

Friendships cultivated
Love (gained, given, felt)
Self reflection
Fears I've faced
Progress
Peace (felt, found, seen)
Effort
Pushing myself
Things learned, tried
Skills
Growth
Insight
A softening of heart
Opening of minds
Greater joy and capacity to love
Fun (of course that's in there!) :)

All things I've been given through this learning opportunity in my life. Though the pictures may not show that message to you-- you can guess at why they mean something to me. :) Mostly I am just recognizing that I have a lot to be grateful for, and while there are many things in my life that I would love to see fulfilled or happening right now that don't seem to be, I am grateful for the learning and meaningful opportunities that I do have before me now. I feel and really do trust that the Lord is preparing something great for me (in His eyes--probably not the world's), and that this time is a wonderful blessing to me as well (if I let it be). I don't always see that, but today I feel peace (an answer to prayer!) and just a love and satisfaction with the Lord's plan--though I don't know what it is all the time. :) Right now, it's what I'm doing. I love that I can serve the Lord and that he is shaping my life so that I can be of utmost service to him and his children--now and in the future, and forever more. So, today I'm grateful for life...

End of April/beginning of May 2010
Camping on the northern coast of Washington State (Also visited Seattle)


June 2010
White Water Rafting in West Virginia. Class 5 rapids (6 is the highest, and basically equates to waterfalls), and I got thrown off the raft during a class 4, resurfaced under the raft, but held my ground by remembering what the guide told us to do in such turbulent water--get as small as possible--and then finally pulled myself out from under the raft (which was stuck in the whirlpool of the rapid). In the end, I loved the trip. :)
Park of Roses, Columbus. I often go here to explore, read, paint, rest, run, talk, and so forth.
July 2010
Niagara Falls/Palmyra, Sacred Grove, and Hill Cummorah Pageant


In Joseph Smith's boyhood home
Fowler Family Reunion (and a stop in Homer, NY)



(For August, see my post Sunshine on my Shoulders Makes Me Happy. For September, see my post Soap Dispensers and Birthdays.)
October 2010
Amish country--northern Ohio.

Circleville Pumpkin Show


Mammoth Caves, KY--Wild Cave Tour. 6 hours underground, hiked over 6 miles. Crawled through holes 9 inches high and shoulder width..width. Descended hundreds of feet below ground.

November-2010
Walking Tour of downtown-Columbus architecture; past the former school for the deaf, and topiary park--which is created to look, from a certain standing point in the park, like the pointalism painting by Seurat called "Sunday Afternoon at La Grande Jatte."


Went to an all African American Epicostal church service I went to hear Kyle sing. It was a special evening music service, and Kyle's choir--an African American choir :)--was performing some songs. The two of us were the only white people in the building. The videos are choppy--I was trying to hold the camera with arms that had played raquetball for almost 2 hours the day before. But you'll get the idea. A neat thing. Kyle is just amazing in what he does.




Thanksgiving in New York with the Fowler's Went into the city for the big parade, and then again later to play tourist. :) Loved getting to spend that time with all the family there.


December 2010
Olga's Baptism. My friend Olga was baptized on Dec. 5th, and I was asked to speak on baptism. I also helped organize and arrange(and sang in) a special musical number for her there from the Children's songbook--"Baptism."


(For the things I learned at home this month and in Jan., see my posts: The Generosity of Children, and Christmas Break.)

As for this month, well--I've been sick this past week, and though I have no pictures of it, I was well taken care of by wonderful friends--had pizza and medicine, oj and a thermometer, cans of soup, homemade chicken and dumpling soup, texts, and TIME given to me by great friends. Okay, so maybe the title of this blog post doesn't accurately represent what I'm writing about. Instead, perhaps, it should be "Lots", because I've got lots, and I am grateful for all those/that "lots" :). What I have most of is love, and that makes me the most grateful. :)

1 comment:

Aaron and Devon said...

I'm so glad that you have had such a wonderful year with 'lots' to be thankful for. We miss you and always love to hear that you are doing well. I hope you're feeling better! Love ya! Oh yeah, the pictures were great to see- thanks!