I've been thinking of a favorite character of mine, from one of my most favorite books, Middlemarch, by George Eliot. I was reminded of a poem included in the book describing her that I thought I'd share--it's kind of a descriptor of part of the essence that I hope to have someday in myself, though I see it coupled more with faith. This is just a beauty to me, and I am grateful for the lovely women I know who I see this character in.
"Thrice happy she that is so well assured
Unto herself, and settled so in heart,
That neither will for better be allured
Nor fears to worse with any chance to start,
But like a steady ship doth strongly part
The raging waves, and keeps her course aright;
Nor aught for tempest doth from it depart,
Nor aught for fairer weather's false delight.
Such self-assurance need not fear the spight
Of grudging foes; nor favor seek of friends;
But in the stay of her own steadfast might
Neither to one herself nor other bends.
Most happy she that most assured doth rest,
But he most happy who such one loves best."
--Spenser
One other quote, just to give you something to think about:
"People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering." St. Augustine
Remember how amazing you all are! Beautiful. Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment