Monday, March 21, 2011

Teachin'

So can I just say that I love teaching? It is great to be able to work with students and to help them come to believe in themselves, to find understanding, and to gain confidence in their doing so. Grading my last set of papers for the quarter this morning, I came across this nice lil' piece of gratitude from one of my students:

"First and foremost I would like to thank you Ms. Tawna [p.s. yes he did call me that all quarter, and I loved it] for teaching an amazing class over the last quarter. I know that this is a bit off topic [this was written at the start of the last paper he turned in] but I feel as though I need to formally tell you that I really enjoyed the class. I think that it has proven to be a tremendous help to me and in my second quarter here at The Ohio State University. I enjoyed all of the discussions that we have had as a class about anything from the Hope book to the Strategies of Achievement. I feel that you did a wonderful job and I hope that you keep on teaching the class because you are the right person for it.....I have very big dreams that I would love to achieve and one thing that really stuck to me was when you said that you would like to here the progress that we are making in our lives. I would love to keep you posted on all of the things that will happen in the next few years. Again I would just like to say that I appreciate all of the knowledge that you have instilled into us about enhancing our lives by creating better habits that will become very helpful to us down the road. You have been an awesome teacher. God Bless."

Teaching is gratifying, but it feels even better sometimes just to know that the students enjoyed the experience as well. And how nice was it of him to do that? Some may say he was kissing up :), but he was a good kid with a good grade already-- and then I did get this "anonymous" feedback on my course evaluation under the question "What would you suggest your teacher could do to improve?":

(I say anonymous because there was only one student in my class that I am aware of who came from the military this quarter, and that same student also took the opportunity after the final to come up and tell me personally just how much he enjoyed and appreciated the learning environment that I helped create for this course.)

"Being that I was new in the college atmosphere I didn't really know what to expect especially since I just got out of the military and school was not my strong point. My instructor's ability to relate to every single one of her students and really make sure we grasped the material in full that was presented in the course was absolutely astonishing. I don't think I could have asked for a better instructor and honestly don't think my views on college and life would be the same if I were given any other instructor. I am thankful for her efforts and hard work she put in to help us better ourselves, putting the course into real life examples and in class activities made for a great and positive learning environment."

I also liked this one: "she did a very well job." :) ha

So, just because it makes me feel so good-- go tell one of your teachers today just how much you appreciate them! (Parents and friends, etc. count as teachers too. :) hehheh)

And don't worry, just because I love teaching, doesn't mean I am going to don a sweater like this anytime soon...

1 comment:

Aaron and Devon said...

Those are great comments! I am sure you are as wonderful as they say!