Friday, September 16, 2011
Truth and Tolerance
So, on Sunday I went and watched the CES (Church Education System) Fireside with Elder and Sister Oaks. They both spoke (on very different topics) and both talks were good. I especially wanted to share the link to Elder Oaks talk with you, because what he talked about is very pertinent to every one of us. Listening to how Casey's family was treated by members of the church in his area, and then having close friends who tell me how hard their own family judges others reminds me how pertinent this topic is to everyone. For me, living where I am in such a minority with regards to my beliefs (politically, especially) it is also very timely and useful. His topic was on Absolute Truths that we, as members of the church believe in, and then how the other side of that coin is "Tolerance", which can be a very slippery slope. What stuck out, especially, to me was how he very somberly and specifically made these statements "As an Apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ." He wanted to be clear that the things he was saying are what WE, all, as members of the church of Jesus Christ believe in. You and I need to believe in these things and act in a way that is in accordance with them. The words he spoke on dealt with a tide of issues that we are going to be facing "much sooner than [we] think", and he wants us to be prepared for how to handle them. So, I thought I'd share. :) I will post the link for the text to his speech, but if you want to watch it (well worth it--I learn better, sometimes, in being able to hear how they intonize) there is a link off of that text for the video of it. Click on this: Elder Oaks Talk. Enjoy, and let me know what you think! We will be the prepared family. :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment