Friday, September 25, 2009

Trip to Ohio-- Pic's and stories from our time in Nauvoo!


Well, I thought it about time that I post some of our pictures from Nauvoo so that you can see a few of them. I am still trying to figure out the hang of posting pictures on the blog, so forgive me if the post looks really sloppy, and if one of them is still sideways (I picked that one without knowing it, and it takes too long for the pictures to upload, so rather than put in the one I was trying for, I just left it. :) It's a good one too, and you can get the idea of it...:).) Dev, I really think you would love Nauvoo and just the beauty of it. Amber-- I think you would love it too-- especially watching the old missionaries sing and dance and kick-up their legs in the "Rendevous at Nauvoo" show that we watched the Saturday night we were there. They were just so endearing, and it was so fun to watch these 50-80 year olds act like young pups in love. :) It was great. So below is just a small random sampling of what we saw in the short time we were there. I think my favorite thing was getting to do a session in the temple-- just the history of it all made it all so poignant. And then just walking the streets and feeling the presence and testimony of the saints of what their lives were like and what went on there. I loved it. The first picture is of the temple at night-- the spectacular vision we saw as we rounded the corner up onto the street where our hotel was at 3 o'clock in the morning. The streets were so still and quiet except for the loooud crickets and bugs that made it all just feel cozy and warm like. I loved that view, and will remember it for along time. Anywho, without futher ado, a few pictures.

What a stunning view!
















This was the view outside our hotel room, just to the left. I looooooved looooved looooooooooved these statues of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. There was just something about it that said so much to me about the sacrifice of the Saints. I think it was probably my favorite. I just loved to look at it. Right outside the hotel was a little small corner of pioneer-like cabins and shops, with this statue admist them. It was beautiful.


Our little porch! Outside the bedroom we all shared (and listened to Dad snoring, Keith coughing, me talking or laughing in my sleep, and Mom-- just sleeping through it all.) :0)



These next few pictures are from a very beautiful display of statues at the Visitor's Center. Anna told me I HAD to go see them, and now we know why. They were all really impressive and evoked a lot of emotion through this unusual medium (for such emotion.) The expressions were so real and life-like. I loved these statues, and think you should all go look them up (if you didn't come see them with us) or, better yet, just come back out and visit me and we'll see them all again TOGETHER! :0) hehe.

Testing out the Hand-size/comparing

This one was Jesus praying to the Father-- I can't quite remember the title. Anyone?















This one was my favorite, if only because of what it represented (though you can only see half of it in this picture.) It is called something like "The Way of Eternal Life" or "The Path to Happiness,"-- I can't recall. Basically the center is a family-- the center unit of our lives and of the Father's plan, and then there is a part with figures moving up toward Christ-representing the way to eternal life, and then a part with those decending downwards, away from Christ. It represented choice, agency, and what things lead us on the path and lead us to Christ, or away from him. This shows the path to him--I think they were compassion and loving service to others, rejoicing in Christ, enduring to the end (was an old Asian woman helping a younger woman look and move forward), and then "the new and everlasting covenant of marriage" ulitmately at the top where Christ was welcoming them in with open arms.


Just a pretty picture I took of the temple on Sunday, and I had to show off how pretty it was. :)



Me at Lucy Mack Smith's home! (None of us got to go inside, because we were hurrying to get to the brick-layer's shop.)












Another of my favorite statues. The last one I'll explain- I promise! :) There were a series of sculptures that showed a woman throughout most of her life. Starting young, there were sculptures of her doing art and learning--doing things she liked to do. Then as you moved on, there was one of her talking with a young man, then, their marriage. Then they had her with a baby, and had scuptures showing her as she worked with her children-- practicing instruments, them in sports gear, etc. It was showing the progression of her life. Then, after all of those with her children, it finally ended on this one, of her older, working on a quilt. The title of this sculpture was "Fulfillment." I just loved it, and loved the idea it expressed. A woman who sacrifices so much of her own life for that of her family and her children, and then, when they are old and grown, she can go back to doing something she enjoys doing for herself, and yet her life is complete, and she is fulfilled through what she has done. I don't know. You Mom's out there will all understand this better than I, but my heart sure does feel it and get it as much as it can! (I love your kids a whole stinkin' bunch!)
















Keith and I outside of Joseph and Emma Smith's home-- called "the mansion house."









Two cute love birds walking down the main street of old, restored Nauvoo. (Aren't they cute??)




At the end of the day, we walked down what was once known as the Trail of Tears, now with the name changed to the "Trail of Hope." Anna told me that President Hinckley said every member of the church should walk down this path at least once in their life. It was the street and path the Saints walked down as they left Nauvoo to head out West, down to the Mississippi (where Keith, Me, Mom and Dad are all shown) never to come back to there beautiful, beloved town. But with a hope for the future! An example that we should all be wise and follow. (Having hope for the future, not moving out West-- I just got here! ha.)




















Had to put in a shot of us playing cards on the bed in our hotel room. Classic. :) (Dev-- Keith pulled a you by showing us his hand. haha.)


When we got to Mindy's, we played progressive rummy one more time, and guess who finally won??....



You better believe it! :) Good job Keith. He defeated the Mom at P.R. Could have been just a fluke-- but we'll just have to see. :) I think he did a pretty good job.

1 comment:

Janelle Ehat said...

I would LOVE to see the whole series of statues that includes the woman knitting!! That sounds like something I would love to have in my house (in miniature) to remind me that it's all a part of the journey! Love it!