Thursday, January 13, 2011

Another kind of scriptures


Today I came home after a nice, super productive day at school, and found the downstairs part of my apartment deserted of roommates. So, I decided to sit down and play the piano for awhile, telling myself I'd get to reading my scriptures soon. I ended up playing for an hour and half, but mostly because I was really feeling the spirit as I played through some of the hymns and primary songs. Especially when I got to one of my favorites from the Children's Hymn Book: He Sent His Son. It has been one of my favorites for years now, and for some reason, today the words really hit me and brought the spirit. So I decided to keep playing and to let my playing and singing and reading of the words of these songs be part of my scripture study today. And then I just wanted to share it. :) What I love most about these children's hymns is just the powerful simplicity of the lyrics--simple, but so clear and pure in their message--and thus so powerful. They are so beautiful in their pure messages. Look at the message of this song (you can also read along as you watch the clip below, of when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang a rendition of this song during April conference 2010. I'd really recommend listening to it. http://lds.org/general-conference/music/2010/04?lang=eng&session=1&song=11&media=video):


"How could the Father tell the world
of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a new-born babe,
with peace and holiness.
How could the Father show the world
the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men
on earth, that we may know.

How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us
and rise with living breath.

What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.

What does he ask? Live like his Son."

The song spoke to me today about all that the Father would do, has done for us, to help us to learn and to grow. He wants us to learn of sacrifice, and so he sent his only Begotten Son as a sacrifice for sin, and as an example to us of what sacrifice is through how that son spent his life in its entirety. The things that matter most have been given to us, through perfect example, in the gift of our Savior Jesus Christ and his life. How grateful I am for the kindness and the wisdom of our great Heavenly Father and King. He has given us everything we have--our lives, our families, homes, warmth, knowledge, beauty, the gospel, friends, everything, but the most important thing he has given us is the knowledge and ability to learn how, and to chose how to be most happy--how to return and be with him again, and our loved ones, forever. I am so grateful for this knowledge and love my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ so much. I hope I can learn these lessons of true love and follow the example that has been set by the Savior, by learning from this great gift given with perfect love, and wisdom, from our Heavenly Father. He must have a lot of faith or hope in us, to give us such a gift. He must know what it would mean to us.

And in the end, what does he ask? Have faith and hope, live like his son, help others on their way. How can I read those words or hear them sung and not want, so much, the same thing? I hope I can learn to love like that, and bring others to that happiness and true joy. Our Heavenly Father loves us all so much.

I love you too. :)

Love Tawna

No comments: