So, in my effort to ...stay smart ;), I read a few more poems the other day. (What a start.)
I read a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson, and really liked the first part of it, which I share with you:
Each and All
Little thinks, in the field, yon red-cloaked clown
of thee from the hill-top looking down;
the heifer that lows in the upland farm
far-heard, lows not thine ear to charm;
The sexton, tolling his bell at noon,
deems not that great Napoleon
stops his horse, and lists with delight,
whilst his files sweep round yon Alpine height;
Nor knowest though what argument
thy life to thy neighbor's creed has lent.
All are needed by each one--
The poem goes on, but I'm not sure I agree with the rest of the sentiment of it; however, I did like this part. To me, it says, in part, that as we go about living our lives, we don't know what impact we are having on others around us. We don't always know or see (or acknowledge) that someone was watching or listening and that something we have done has brought them joy, or caused them to reflect.
That's all, for now. Thanks, Emerson, for the recall.

No comments:
Post a Comment