Sunday, March 1, 2015

Thanksgiving in PA w/Nate

Thanksgiving.  Remember how we had that holiday (yearly) back in November?  Yeah.  Me too.

This past year for Thanksgiving, Nate invited me to come with him to his aunt and uncle's in Pennsylvania for the weekend.  This is an aunt Nate had mentioned to me on a number of occasions, so I was glad to meet her and put a face with the persona.  It was a good weekend.

The drive out was enjoyable--I helped Nate study, quizzing him on flashcards for a good chunk of the drive, and then we just got to talk, which I always appreciate and love.  The snow wasn't too bad, but it did make for a pretty drive, and was especially picturesque as we got to the town where they lived--a small town called Glen Mills.  I loved driving by the small shops and bridges along the river, and all the larger trees lined with snow.  I almost made Nate stop on the way back so I could take pictures, which he would have, but I decided to spare him. ;)

It was really kind of his aunt and uncle to let me come and stay.  We stayed until Saturday after breakfast, which meant I got some time over the weekend to get to know Nate's aunt and uncle a bit as we spent time together.  They live on a good sized piece of land, complete with a barn and (you'll know I liked this) a walking trail that went back through some wooded areas.  Nate's Aunt Cindy really loves her dogs, and we took them out a bit each day to walk, play catch, and go for walks tromping around in the snow.  Note: I survived 2 dogs for a full weekend, and even enjoyed playing with them. ;)  They were sweet.


Luckily, Nate's aunt let me borrow a pair of her swishy pants and some proper snow boots (...and gloves, and a hat...) so that I wasn't entirely miserable out in that cold. Cause it was chiiilly that weekend in PA.  Not that I didn't have anything for the cold, just nothing super worthy of walking outside in all that snow.  Actually, as she let me pick out gloves and a hat, it reminded me a lot of going up to the snow with Dad when we were kids--they had a box filled with all sorts of old gloves and hats and such, some of which, I wouldn't be surprised to find out, were the exact replicas of some Dad pulled out for us to use from his similar, handy snow-clothes box. :)  It was the same feel.

I got to spend a lot of time working on grants for my internship, as Nate had come knowing (and I as well) that he'd have to spend most of the time studying for an upcoming exam.  Although I would have enjoyed having more time with Nate down with us--obviously--it was still a really nice weekend.  It was a good environment to help me stay focused and working--close to Nate and his family, so not lonely, and welcome/comfortable, plus just being out of Columbus in a home.  Just good.  I also spent a lot of time sitting, talking with and getting to know Nate's Aunt Cindy.  She was so gracious, and it was really nice getting to know her.  We enjoyed many pleasant hours just talking.  That first night, we stayed up chatting until midnight.  I'm pretty sure she's not normally such a night owl, but was being polite and getting to know the guest in her home. :)

Steve, Cindy, and Nate
When Nate was able to come down from his upstairs, medical-school-imposed isolation cell, we were able to play a game or two, talk with his aunt and uncle about books, stories from school, etc., and also got a little music in there one night.  (Nate taught me my first introduction to the guitar.  I am consistently keeping my nails short now, in the hopes I'll spend a bit more time each week learning/practicing what I'm learning. ....)

Anyways.  It was a nice, quiet weekend.  I am thankful (Thanksgiving...remember?) that Nate plucked up the courage to ask me to come, even if it was "just to help," and really grateful I got to spend that time with him and his family.  Even though I missed all of you, and the craziness that is any holiday with our family, I had a nice and memorable Thanksgiving w/Nate in the hills of PA.

Mr. Mahler and myself
Happy Thanksgiving!  (It's a year-round thing.  Like Christmas. ...)

No comments: