Sunday, March 1, 2015

Legacy of Looove: Grandma and Grandpa, How They Met

So, if you remember, precisely (about?) 1.56872 billion years ago, and a day, ...I said I was going to be doing some posts on how people in our family met, proposed, etc.,  (You thought I was going to make some joke about how long ago Grandma and Grandpa met, didn't you? ;) )  I did an interview with Grandma and Grandpa back in April of last year, and finally got around to finishing the story of how they met.  It was an entire 2.5 minute long transcript at that point, so you'll understand the delay. ;)  Forgive me.  But, in honor of the month of love that just passed (just really an excuse) and because I like them, here is the short lil' transcription from my conversation with them, of Grandpa telling me how the two of them met.  :)


Grandpa: “Okay.  We met—I was living in Salt Lake and Grandma was living in Salt Lake, and I was driving down State Street in Salt Lake one time and Grandma and her friend pulled up along side me—actually, I wasn’t driving, another guy was driving.  And Grandma was driving her car and her friend was in the car next to us—or, her friend was in the passenger seat.  And the friend I was with got talking to Grandma’s friend, and decided that we would pull over into a drive-in and talk for awhile. And Grandma would not give me her name and phone number. She gave me her name, but not her phone number. And she wouldn’t give me her address or anything. And so, they left.  And I thought “Oh! We’d never see ‘em again.” But, little to her surprise, back in those days you used to have to carry the registration to your car on the sun visor on a clip visible to the police [you can hear grandma laughing in the background at this point], and I looked at it and I remembered the name!  And then the next day I was at work—I was working in a gas station—and, uh, I thought I recognized that name.  And I looked in the files and by darn—we had be servicing her father’s car! And I had the name, address, and phone number! And so, I called her up and she was very surprised that I had called her up and found out how to find out who she was.  So then, we made a date to go on a picnic--because Grandma had been married before and divorced, and she had four little kids: Debbie and DaNae and Diane and Steven. And so we went on a picnic up in Immigration Canyon and…then we just—we fell in love! And that was 52 years ago.” 

Grandma inserts: “And I’ve had him for that long, and I’ll keep him for much longer. 52 years more.“ J
Grandpa:  “So that’s how we met. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.” J

Aren't they wonderful? I think so.

No comments: